Monday, April 27, 2009

What are the best ways to get rid of broadleaf and grassy weeds in lawn?

My lawn is about 1/5 weeds. And I want to make it a perfect lawn. This spring I am going to put down pre-emergent, but I know that there will still be ones that will come up. As well as the ones already germinated. So I have heard that it is good to fertilize reguraly your lawn and to spray a post emergent like 24d or MSMA on your lawn to kill clover and other broadleaf weeds as well as any crabgrass or grassy weeds that come up in your lawn when the weather is mild , but not too hot (so it wont damage your grass). I also plan to aerate and seed my lawn in the fall.


Is this the only and best way to renovate my lawn to perfect state? how long will it take?

What are the best ways to get rid of broadleaf and grassy weeds in lawn?
long job--------take danedelions %26amp; daises out one by one with a penknife as the roots are very long,all other weeds can be sprayed.good luck
Reply:In my experience, you need to do 2 things. 1. every fall or spring, overseed the lawn with grass seed. This is because about 15% of your grass will die out every year (which is one reason you get more weeds, to fill the spaces). Be sure to water every couple of days till the seeds sprout (about 1 month). 2. The granular weed control is difficult to use without killing more grass and I don't like it. I prefer using the liquid weed killers, the ones you spray using a special bottle on your hose. Do the weed-killing gradually, once every 2 to 4 weeks. It takes longer this way but you are less likely to kill grass in the process. (Don't use weed killers for at least 2 months after applying grass seed or you will kill the new grass.) Done this way, you can greatly improve the lawn within 2 years. You can kill persistent weeds by spot applications of liquid weed killer.


No comments:

Post a Comment